Founded in 1946 our mission is to research, develop and promote sustainable relationships between the soil, plants, animals, people and the biosphere, in order to produce healthy food and other products while protecting and enhancing the environment.
SA standards define the criteria, treatments and practices of organic health and beauty products. They cover:
- processing of the raw materials
- labelling, and
Organic health and beauty products should:
- be fit for their purpose
- have as high as possible proportion of organic ingredients
- be clearly identified, traceable and separate from non-organic products at all stages of manufacturing
- not be tested on animals
- not be harmful to human health and the environment in manufacture and use
- be produced in line with ethical trade standards and
- be labelled to give clear and accurate information to the consumer.